Fees for participation in the SmartNet Erasmus MSc Programme amount to:
- 4500€ (per year) for students from Programme Countries
- 9000€ (per year) for students from Partner Countries
Programme Countries students are:
- Students whose nationality or residency is one of the 28 EU Member States: Germany, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Spain, Finland, France, Greece, Ireland, Slovakia, Slovenia, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Portugal, UK, Sweden, Bulgaria, Malta, Poland, Czech Republic, Cyprus, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Romania, and Croatia.
- Students whose nationality or residency is one of the following countries: Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Turkey, and Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia (FYRoM)
- Students who have resided or carried out their main activities (studies, training or work) for more than 12 months over the past five years (calculated backward from our application submission deadline, i.e. 5th of March 2018) in any of the above countries
Partner Countries students include students from all other parts of the world
Note, that students with double nationality (of a Partner and of a Programme Country) must specify the nationality under which they submit their scholarship application
The participation fee covers the institutional enrolment at the hosting institutions and includes:
- tuition fees: educational expenses such as courses, academic supervision, exams, counseling and university support services, library and IT services in accordance with the university regulations
- insurance: including accident and health insurance satisfying the minimum requirements as published by the EACEA in its guidelines for Erasmus Mundus Joint Master Degrees
The participation fee does not cover:
- Travel costs from the student’s origin, and travel costs for the mobility between ASTON, TSP-TPT and UoA in the corresponding semesters of the programme
- Travel document costs (passport, visas), accommodation and living expenses, or other personal costs (e.g. study books printing and stationery, photocopies etc.)
SmartNet is supported by the Erasmus+ programme of the European Union with a limited number of EMJMD scholarships for top-ranked applicants. About 22 EMJMD scholarships will be available every year, for the next three years, starting from the academic year 2018-2019 (i.e. 4 for Programme Country students and 18 for Partner country students). From the Partner Country category, approximately 5 out of the 18 scholarships, will be specifically reserved to the following targeted regions, each year:
- ENI East (Region 2): Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Moldova, Territory of Ukraine as recognized by international law.
- ENI South (Region 3): Algeria, Egypt, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Marocco, Palestine, Syria, Tunisia.
- Asia (Region 6): Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Cambodia, DPR Korea, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Maldives, Mongolia, Myanmar, Myanmar, Nepal, Pakistan, Philippines, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Vietnam.
- Central Asia (Region 7): Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan.
Thus, 13 scholarships will be allocated to students from all other partner countries.
Each EMJMD scholarship is awarded exclusively for a full-time enrollment and will cover the entire duration of the SmartNet study programme and includes:
|Scholarship holders from Programme Countries||Scholarship holders from Partner Countries|
|Contribution to participation costs||€4500 per year||€9000 per year|
|Contribution to travel and installation costs||€1000 per year for travel costs for a scholarship holder, resident in a Programme Country||€2000 per year for travel costs +
€1000 for installation costs for a scholarship holder in a Partner Country less than 4000km from the SmartNet coordinating HEI (Aston, Birmingham, UK)
€3000 per year for travel costs+
€1000 for installation costs for a scholarship holder, resident in a Partner Country 4000km or more from the SmartNet coordinating HEI (Aston, Birmingham, UK)
|Contribution to subsistence costs||€1000 per month for a Programme or Partner Country scholarship holder, for the entire duration of the SmartNet study programme (i.e. 24 months)
Contribution to subsistence costs will not be given to the scholarship holders for the SmartNet periods (study/research/placement/thesis preparation) spent in their country of residence, nor to scholarship holders from a Partner Country for the SmartNet periods exceeding one trimester (i.e. 3 months or the equivalent of 15 ECTS credits) spent in any Partner Country.
The Consortium will use the “Distance Calculator”, which is available here, to calculate the distance between the scholarship holder city of residence and the city of the coordinating HEI, in order to decide the applicable distance band.
Finally, for the available EMJMD scholarships the following eligibility criteria apply:
- Students should have obtained a first higher education degree or degree or demonstrate a recognized equivalent level of learning according to national legislation and practices of the degree awarding country.
- Students are not allowed to submit a scholarship application to more than three EMJMD consortia for a specific intake.
- Students who have already obtained an EMJMD scholarship or an Erasmus Mundus Master Course/Joint Doctorate scholarship are not eligible to apply for an additional scholarship under the EMJMD action.
- Students cannot benefit from another EU-funded scholarship scheme while they are receiving and EMJMD scholarship.
The selection committee will ensure that selected students meet the above rules. Non-compliance may lead to cancellation of the scholarship awarded to the student. Furthermore, in order to ensure a geographical balance across students, the consortium shall respect the criterion that no more than 3 (three) of the selected students should come from the same country.