Fees for participation in the SmartNet Erasmus MSc Programme amount to:
- 4500€ (per year) for students from Programme Countries
- 9000€ (per year) for students from Partner Countries
Programme Countries students are:
- Students whose nationality or residency is one of the 28 EU Member States: Germany, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Spain, Finland, France, Greece, Ireland, Slovakia, Slovenia, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Portugal, UK, Sweden, Bulgaria, Malta, Poland, Czech Republic, Cyprus, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Romania, and Croatia.
- Students whose nationality or residency is one of the following countries: Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Serbia, Turkey, and Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia (FYRoM)
- Students who have resided or carried out their main activities (studies, training or work) for more than 12 months over the past five years (calculated backward from our application submission deadline, i.e. 15th of February 2019) in any of the above countries. This is known as 12-months residency rule
Partner Countries students are from all other parts of the world, who in addition, do not meet the criteria of the 12 month residency rule. That is, even if they have a Partner Country citizenship, they will count as Programme Country students if they have resided or carried out their main activity (studies, training or work) for more than a total of 12 months over the last five years in any Programme Country.
The 12-month residency rule does not apply to the Partner Country candidates who for various reasons and under various circumstances have sought refuge and received a refugee status in a Programme Country.
Note, that students with double nationality (of a Partner and of a Programme Country) must specify the nationality under which they submit their scholarship application.
The participation fee covers the institutional enrollment at the hosting institutions and includes:
- tuition fees: educational expenses such as courses, academic supervision, exams, counseling and university support services, library and IT services in accordance with the university regulations
- insurance: including accident and health insurance satisfying the minimum requirements as published by the EACEA in its guidelines for Erasmus Mundus Joint Master Degrees
The participation fee does not cover:
- Travel costs from the student’s origin, and travel costs for the mobility between ASTON, TSP-TPT and UoA in the corresponding semesters of the programme
- Travel document costs (passport, visas), accommodation and living expenses, or other personal costs (e.g. study books printing and stationery, photocopies etc.)
SmartNet is supported by the Erasmus+ programme of the European Union with a limited number of EMJMD scholarships for top-ranked applicants. About 26 EMJMD scholarships will be available for the 2019-2021 intake (i.e. 4 for Programme Country students and 22 for Partner country students). From the Partner Country category, approximately 7 out of the 22 scholarships, will be specifically reserved to the following targeted regions:
- ENI East (Region 2): Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Moldova, Territory of Ukraine as recognized by international law.
- ENI South (Region 3): Algeria, Egypt, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Marocco, Palestine, Syria, Tunisia.
- Asia-remaining countries (Region 6): DPR Korea, Indonesia, Malaysia, Maldives, Mongolia, Pakistan, Philippines, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Vietnam.
- Central Asia-L or LMI (Region 7): Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan.
Thus, 15 scholarships will be allocated to students from all other partner countries.
Each EMJMD scholarship is awarded exclusively for a full-time enrollment and will cover the entire duration of the SmartNet study programme and includes:
|Scholarship holders from Programme Countries||Scholarship holders from Partner Countries|
|Contribution to participation costs||€4500 per year||€9000 per year|
|Contribution to travel and installation costs||€1000 per year for travel costs for a scholarship holder, resident in a Programme Country||€2000 per year for travel costs +
€1000 for installation costs for a scholarship holder in a Partner Country less than 4000km from the SmartNet coordinating HEI (Aston, Birmingham, UK)
€3000 per year for travel costs+
€1000 for installation costs for a scholarship holder, resident in a Partner Country 4000km or more from the SmartNet coordinating HEI (Aston, Birmingham, UK)
|Contribution to subsistence costs||€1000 per month for a Programme or Partner Country scholarship holder, for the entire duration of the SmartNet study programme (i.e. 24 months)
Contribution to subsistence costs will not be given to the scholarship holders for the SmartNet periods (study/research/placement/thesis preparation) spent in their country of residence, nor to scholarship holders from a Partner Country for the SmartNet periods exceeding one trimester (i.e. 3 months or the equivalent of 15 ECTS credits) spent in any Partner Country.
Note: Contribution to the travel costs takes into account the country of residence and not the nationality. A unit cost per academic year and a distance band of 4.000 km applies to any student resident in a Partner Country (including students with a Programme Country citizenship). Students resident in a Programme Country (including students with a Partner Country citizenship) are covered by a fixed unit cost of 1000 EUR per academic year.
The Consortium will use the “Distance Calculator”, which is available here, to calculate the distance between the scholarship holder city of residence and the city of the coordinating HEI, in order to decide the applicable distance band.
Other Scholarships and Funding Opportunities
Erasmus+ Master Loans
Erasmus+ Master Degree Loans are EU-guaranteed loans with favourable pay-back terms that can help you finance your Master course in an Erasmus+ Programme country. You can receive a loan of up to €18,000 for a 2-year Master. Detailed information is available on the website of the European Commission.
- Argentina – BEC.AR
- Canada – Government of Ontario
- USA – Fulbright Programme, AIFS Study Abroad
- Chile – CONICYT
- Colombia – Colfuturo
- Mexico – CONACYT, FIDERH
- Peru – CONCYTEC
- Salvador – FANTEL
- Albania – French government
- Belarus – European Union
- Central Europe – Ceepus
- Denmark – The Danish State Educational Support (SU)
- Germany – DAAD
- Greece – Goulandris Foundation
- Poland – French government
- Romania – Romanian government
- Slovakia – Slovak government, Slovak Ministry of Education
- Slovenia – Slovenian government
- Spain – Becas Talentia, Becas Fundation Caja
- Ukraine – Victor Pinchuk Foundation
- China – China Scholarship Council
- Indonesia – LPDP
- Japan – JASSO, World Bank
- Kazakhstan – Bolashak
- Malaysia – JPA, MARA
- Thailand – Royal Thai Government Scholarship Program, French government
- Egypt – El-Mahsry Foundation
- Qatar – Emir scholarships
- Saudi Arabia – King Abdallah Scholarship Program
- Turkey – Turkish Ministry of Education
- New Zealand – William Georgetti Scholarship
Other relevant links